This webinar was originally broadcast on 7th May 2020
COVID-19 is an infectious disease caused by SARS-CoV-2. The outbreak of COVID-19 started in Dec. 2019 with the first case reported in China. The World Health Organization (WHO) recognised the outbreak of COVID-19 as a pandemic on 11 March 2020. By April 2020, there are over 2 million confirmed cases and have brought the economies of many countries to a halt.
Dr Luyun Jiang, Technology Analyst at IDTechEx, will discuss the technology innovations and trends regarding COVID-19 diagnostics and more broadly, infectious disease diagnostics.
The highlights are:
- The key considerations for COVID-19 diagnostics: sensitivity, specificity, sample-to-answer time and more
- The rise of point-of-care devices
- Isothermal amplification as the key technology behind fast test
- Innovations around the detection methods, moving from the fluorescent measurement to other possibilities, such as CRISPR-cas based, DNA sequencing based, lateral flow assays etc.
- Market landscape after COVID-19