Tuesday, 15 Nov 2011
Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011
Wednesday November 16, 2011
New Energy Storage Materials and Concepts (10:15 - 11:20)10:15 - 10:40 "Chromophore-Derivitized Carbon Nanotubes as High-Energy-Density Solar Thermal Fuels"
- Introduction to the concept of solar thermal fuels; discussion of previous efforts and the challenges they identified.
- Discussion of the principles behind our design strategy and the methods we use to develop and test these principles.
- Presentation of our first-principles results for energy storage capacity and lifetime of the designed azobenzene-derivitized carbon nanotube (azo/CNT) solar thermal fuels.
- Presentation of preliminary experimental results for synthesis and characterization of azo/CNT solar thermal fuels.
- Discussion of extension of strategy to numerous other chromophore/template nanostructures.