This report focuses on technologies and components in automotive applications that benefit from the advent of printed/flexible electronics and already represent a market of a few hundred million dollars in 2016.
Some of the technologies described within the report are mature markets and are not expected to dramatically increase their market share or revenues (e.g. windscreen de-foggers) whereas others, such as structural or in mold electronics, are expected to grow significantly in the next decade.
Finally, other technologies such as e-textiles for example, are expected to take a few more years of development before we see them rolled out into automotive applications.
Overall, the market is expected to grow to over $5.5 billion dollars in the next decade, spearheaded by the growth of in mold electronics and OLED technologies.
Fig 1. Printed and flexible electronics in automotive applications revenues in $ millions.
The specific technologies discussed are listed below:
- Conductive Inks - a significant market in its own right, the market for conductive inks has seen application in vehicles in components such as window de-foggers and car-seat heaters.
- In Mold Electronics - also known as structural electronics, they are set to revolutionize the interiors of vehicles with increased design freedom and performance while reducing complexity.
- Haptics - a toolkit of technologies that will make touch-enabled technologies in cars "come alive".
- Force Sensing Resistors and other sensor technologies: Sensors are offering consumers improved comfort and awareness of their surroundings while enabling and fast tracking overarching concepts such as that of "the connected car".
- OLED Displays & OLED Lighting - flexible light weight displays and lighting enabling applications ranging from exterior and interior lighting and design, all the way augmented reality(AR) integration in vehicles.
- Thermal Interface Materials - A range of materials enabling the dissipation of heat generated by different components in order to maintain junction temperatures.
- Photovoltaics - improving fuel consumption and overall vehicle efficiency while maintaining green credentials and reducing emissions in accordance with tightening regulations globally.
The report includes descriptions of current and upcoming use cases of these technologies by existing and potential adopters and a detailed listing of the most significant players in each segment; it also includes relevant, interview-based company profiles, compiled using primary research by experienced IDTechEx market analysts, identifying and comparing activities of each of the major players in the key market sectors addressed.
Finally, distilling over 15 years of experience in the space for printed/flexible electronics along with primary and secondary research on the technologies described in the report, 10 year forecasts for the growth of the market are given, alongside with potential future directions and markets that show promise in the long term.
All report purchases include up to 30 minutes telephone time with an expert analyst who will help you link key findings in the report to the business issues you're addressing. This needs to be used within three months of purchasing the report.
If you have any questions about this report, please do not hesitate to contact our report team at research@IDTechEx.com
or call one of our sales managers:
Americas (US): +1 617 577 7890
Europe (UK): +44 (0)1223 812300
Korea: +82 31 263 7890
Rest of Asia (Japan): +81 90 1704 1184