Flexible, Roll-to-Roll eWriter Displays and Applications
Grand Ballroom F
17:35 - 18:00
1. The flexible, roll-to-roll eWriter display technology, based on cholesteric liquid crystals (ChLC), has inherent reflective color, bistablity, and requires no power to maintain a static image.
2. By applying localized pressure to the flexible, roll-to-roll eWriter display with either a stylus or fingertip a bright line is written on the dark background of the display. The immediate writing response time, natural writing feel - similar to pen on paper, and smear free palm rejection make this an excellent device for written notes.
3. The flexible, roll-to-roll eWriter display has been commercialized as the Boogie Board® eWriter display and has seen commercial success around the world. Discussion of new product types and categories for this unique electronic writing device will be included.
4. The flexible, roll-to-roll eWriter display technology is a web manufactured lamination of a polymer matrix containing CLC in between two flexible substrates with roll to roll coated PEDOT/PSS (poly (3,4) ethylenedioxythiophene / polystyrenesulfore acid) conductor.
5. Considerable mechanical writing tests have been developed and completed on the eWriter display demonstrating the mechanical robustness.
Speaker Biography (Erica N. Montbach)
Dr. Erica Montbach is the Manager for Research and Development at Kent Displays Inc. As Manager for Research and Development, Dr. Montbach is responsible for flexible display development and innovation, including leading multi-disciplinary teams, mentoring, solving key technical problems, and developing new concepts. Additionally, Dr. Montbach has unique experience with web conveyance and roll to roll display products from her previous work with Eastman Kodak. She has 24 technical publications and 14 patents and patent applications in several areas of liquid crystal research. She is a member of the Society for Information Display and the International Society for Optical Engineering. Dr. Montbach has a B.A. in Physics from The College of Wooster, an M.S. in Physics from Colorado State University, and a Ph.D. in Chemical Physics from the Liquid Crystal Institute at Kent State University.
Company Profile (Kent Displays)
Founded in 1993 as the result of a joint venture between Kent State University and Manning Ventures, Kent Displays, Inc. is a world leader in the research, development and manufacture of Reflex liquid crystal displays for unique, sustainable applications. Our revolutionary Reflex LCDs retain an image without power and offer superior optical characteristics including sunlight-readability and wide viewing angles.
Kent Display's roll to roll production lines are located at our headquarters in Kent, Ohio, U.S.A and mass produce Reflex LCDs from rolls of plastic with printed/coated conductor. Web manufactured product has been in the market since 2009 in the form of the Boogie Board™ eWriter LCD. Our unique manufacturing process allows for the flexibility, durability, and exceptional thinness of our plastic displays, combined with no power image retention and superior optical characteristics, results in a versatile, environmentally-friendly alternative to traditional paper and backlit LCDs.