Thursday November 21, 2013
Bi-Stable Displays (14:05 - 14:55)14:05 - 14:30 "Low-power, Flexible, Color-Tunable Surfaces"
: - By applying less than 1.5 Volts DC, the bright reflected color from a P-Ink surface can be controlled at will over the whole rainbow spectrum with bistable color states, making it highly attractive for tunable color surfaces and reflective displays.
- We will describe the large-scale production of P-Ink active materials using roll-to-roll methods, and final P-Ink devices incorporating printed electronics (conductive traces, resistors, ...) as well as traditional converting (lamination, die-cutting, ...).
- Opalux's progress in incorporating P-Ink devices into various product embodiments, including automotive (interior and exterior), sports apparel, eyewear, mobile electronics, and toys/games, will be covered.
1. The Reflex™ display technology, based on cholesteric liquid crystals (ChLC), has inherent reflective color, bistablity, and requires no power to maintain a static image.
2. Several unique display types have been created using the Reflex display technology, such as a pressure induced writing tablet and a switchable color electronic skin display.
3. The writing tablet allows electronic note taking with the user experience and writing feel similar to that of paper and has resulted in a successful consumer product, Boogie Board™.
4. The Reflex display technology is a web manufactured lamination of a polymer matrix containing CLC in between two flexible substrates with roll to roll coated PEDOT/PSS (poly (3,4) ethylenedioxythiophene / polystyrenesulfore acid) conductor.