Asset Roadmaps: Key Lessons For Growth In Additive Manufacturing And Printed Electronics
Santa Clara Convention Center, CA, USA
Grand Ballroom D
15:00 - 15:20
This presentation will review the asset roadmap process and detail key learnings for successful growth of additive manufacturing. Key growth initiatives discussed will include:
• Formation of a regional innovation cluster.
• Driving expanded applications of AM for tooling, fixtures, and enhanced manufacturing productivity by making investments in technical support, capital equipment, workforce development, and industry-based educational programs.
• Use of formal education and workforce training initiatives to boost the adoption of AM, placing a strong emphasis on the development and retention of design and engineering talent.
• Building out supply chain strengths in the key market verticals of the automotive, biomedical and aerospace industries, including an attraction strategy for key gaps in the existing supply chains.
• Establishing a framework to foster entrepreneurship and commercialization of AM supply chain technologies.
The presentation will also cover the leverage of these learnings in additive manufacturing to printed electronics. Additive manufacturing processes and printed electronics are converging to drive a new wave of design freedom for manufacturers of electronics devices. This presentation will examine the common value elements driving the use of additive manufacturing processes for electronic devices & assemblies, including singulation, user customization, small volume applications, low capital investment, design integration into 3D structures and surfaces, integration with smart systems & IoT, and lower cost assembly.
Tim co-leads a regional innovation cluster on additive manufacturing in partnership with America Makes and Youngstown Business Incubator. He also serves as the entrepreneur-in-residence for additive manufacturing start-ups in NE Ohio, mentoring innovators in AM materials, 3D printing machines and sector-focused service bureaus. Tim was formerly President and CEO of Five Star Technologies, a venture-funded manufacturer of electronic materials. Prior to joining Five Star, Tim created and led the static control business of BF Goodrich, growing a start-up acquisition into a global supplier of materials to the display, hard disk drive and semiconductor markets. Previously, he led numerous technology groups at BF Goodrich, Raychem Corporation and Lonza, Inc. His expertise in conductive materials includes pioneering work on printed self-limiting heaters and PTC current-limiting devices. He holds 11 U.S. and six international patents.
Team NEO is an economic development organization focused on creating jobs for Northeast Ohio's residents. In collaboration with our partners, it leads the region's business attraction efforts, supports business retention and expansion work as Northeast Ohio's JobsOhio affiliate, accelerates the impact of innovation in the region, and aligns strategies and resources within the economic development network to maximize its impact. In addition, Team NEO provides tools to assist employers in attracting talent to the region.
Team NEO is part of the robust Northeast Ohio Economic Development System, providing business decision-makers with access to customized solutions that mitigate risk, foster innovation and accelerate growth through a connected and collaborative ecosystem. For more information, visit clevelandplus.com.